[theforum] movement for redesign

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Aug 12 17:22:28 CDT 2003

Judah McAuley wrote:
> Elfur Logadottir wrote:
> > From: "Morgan Kelsey"
> >
> > > on further thought, moving articles to work.evolt.org would be
> > > disastrous for evolt's rankings.
> >
> > while i do agree with william that now is the right time to change our
> > subdomain "policy" i'm with morgan on this one. articles should keep
> > having the www.eo url not transferred to work.eo. url
>
> Could we do both?  [snip]

Like it.  Although I'm quite sure google correctly reacts to 30x and while
retaining the 'old' address in the index, it correctly spiders the content,
and when you click thru from your results, you go to the new url - google
has done this with links to my old URL (which has a sitewide Redirect on it)
for a while now.

I'm just wondering tho, why we're so desperate to retain google's
attention - with redirects in place, it will cope fine - it's not like our
livelihoods depend upon people searching for stuff via google.  Were we a
commercial outfit, I'd be more concerned about it tba :)  [dons bitchslap
protection gear]

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like