[theforum] movement for redesign

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed Aug 13 05:17:54 CDT 2003

William Anderson wrote:
> Martin Burns wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > At the risk of being dim, don't we do that already with
> > http://evolt.org and http://www.evolt.org?
>
> Yep.
>
> > btw, which has the pagerank of 8?
> > And is it the entire domain, or just pages within it?
>
> http://evolt.org/ has pagerank 8
> http://www.evolt.org/ has pagerank 8

Also, googling for the key terms - web developer, web development, web
design - lands us on ~ page 29, 27 and off the chart respectively, using
googles default prefs of 10 results per page.

However, I thought I'd do some number crunching.

According to the stats Morgan referred to the other day [1], in July out of
351,145 hits with the http_referer string !="*.evolt.org" and !="", we got
60,707 referrals from google searches (17.29% [2]).  That's not really a lot
out of ~ 2.5m (2.42%).

Also, although google is our major referrer when the google.* sites
aggregated, we still have a number which is only just under double the
number of hits we get without referer string set - 37,067 (61.05%).

Is there a discrepancy here?  60k versus 2.5m ...

However, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics - just thought I'd show
the numbers.

[1] http://evolt.org/stats/2003/07/referralsites.html
[2] there was an atypical number of /. referrals in July, so excluding all
87,064 of them, we have a percentage of 23% referrals from google.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like