[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Aug 15 12:20:40 CDT 2003

Sabrina Dent, Apperception wrote:
>> From: Isaac Forman
>> Anything that removes our ability to remain impartial is out.
>
> And, I think that selling text ads to whomever would like to purchase
> them, barring inappropriate content, is actually as impartial as we can
> be. Plus, it would be more inclusive for the community since you don't
> have to hit a certain donation level to qualify.

I don't think the impartiality is a good idea at all.  There are all
sorts of companies that I don't particularly want to advertise on Evolt.
Sure, we say we aren't endorsing them, but I'd prefer to give exposure
to companies/individuals that don't suck.  I like the idea of text ads
on the site (I actually click on some of them over at metafilter), but I
think we ought to be selective about which ads we accept.  Make them
work for it dammit!

Judah