[theforum] the donation bar

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 04:46:32 CST 2003

On 13 Dec 2003, at 13:33, Elfur Logadottir wrote:

> As we know, the donation bar is showing target $10,500 but our target
> has
> since changed a lot

Yes, that's based on an annualised cost of our bandwidth at Ron's
rates, using our traffic of late 2002 iirc as a base. Our current
donated bandwidth should be worked out to a financial equivalent and
used to increase the total.

> so I'm thinking that maybe we should change it, but to
> what?

Well yes - that is the $64k question. And it will change if the new
steering decides that we should use financial donations to pay for
hosting of *eo, rather than using donated hosting.

> I also think we need to have better explanation as to how the needed
> amount
> is calculated

Yes

> and for what period it is. (me, i think we should have annual
> need and have the bar reset every new year,

Yes. And I can't think of a better date to base this on than errr...
today! (ie our birthday)

> with link to a better
> explanation, list of past years and such)

Yes

Now playing on iTunes: "Had She Been Aye" by Ivan Drever from 'Every
Breaking Heart'