servers and services (was: Re: [theforum] We've got a serious problem here at evolt.org)

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Thu May 13 17:41:53 CDT 2004

Dean wrote on 13/05/2004 21:48:37:

> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 04:09:02PM -0400, David Kaufman wrote:
> >
> > thanks for the enlightenment, Dean!  so two servers, both dedicated,

Neither dedicated iirc. Certainly theraq runs some other stuff.

> and
> > both owned by generous evolters.  may i ask what monthly services we
pay
> > for?  bandwidth, rack space?
>
> Currently, I believe that everything is resting on the shoulders of
> the individuals that run the servers.  Should their generousity run
> out, we run into the same problem that we had when we were required to
> move from Dan's host to Ron's to the current situation.  However, I'm
> sure that if they want, they can breakdown the costs.

$100/month+TX sales tax for the raq.

> This is one of the reasons that we want to move away from the rack to
> a community owned server which will start to come out of the evolt.org
> coffers.  [See my previous message about lists hosting.]  I'm assuming
> that we will eventually move w.e.o as well but its requirements are a
> little steeper in that it relies on commercial software.

Just flagging that this is the current state of affairs, which may or may
not be true forever.

> > i'd like to get some web space somewhere in Evoltia too, where Elfur
> > and I can publish and update all of the financial information that
> > should be public, which i think should be *everything* (except
> > passwords and PIN numbers) and maybe give credit to contributors
> > (who do not opt for discretion) etc.

*cough*
http://acornparenting.org:8080/donation_wall

> > There was a wiki set up for this sort of thing but I don't know if it
> is functioning any longer.

http://wiki.evolt.org
but it's the zope instance on the raq that has the disk allocation issue
(Cobalt Raqs suck if you want to do anything different from what they're
designed for)