[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

s t e f evolt at nota-bene.org
Fri May 21 06:39:27 CDT 2004

> As for unconstructive comments, it's about time someone pointed out that
> evolt.org has been going downhill the last year or so. I used to visit
> it pretty much every day, there were articles aplenty and a good
> community atmosphere. That seems to have died now.

Ah, yes. The community attitude.

Well, we're not too numerous to fight link-spamming comments, to discuss
the organisation's future and... organisation -- and of course to put a
smile on everyone's face for the sake of a friendly atmosphere (wink to
Madhu here, who isn't working in the web sphere anymore but who stuck to
evolt nonetheless).

I feel like we spend more and more time telling people to behave. That of
course doesn't improve the friendly community atmosphere. I hate sounding
like a cop, really ;)

There are some people who come to evolt now that it's successful and use
it as a self-promotional tool, not to say anything about abusing others
publicly.

I'm sure it's not specific to evolt, though. (see the comments on ALA for
instance)

As for me, I really feel better in this community now than, say, two years
ago... maybe it's just because I'm more involved in it, I don't know.

But that's an interesting point. Would you be able to pinpoint how it
changed, what were the factors behind the change, etc?

stef - community! community!