[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri May 21 10:47:55 CDT 2004

> As for unconstructive comments, it's about time someone
> pointed out that
> evolt.org has been going downhill the last year or so. I used
> to visit it
> pretty much every day, there were articles aplenty and a good
> community
> atmosphere. That seems to have died now.

Here are two direct actions you can take:

1. Want to see more articles? I dinna check to see if you've authored
any, but if you want more articles, feel free to get the ball rolling
with one of your own

2. Good community atmosphere? Perhaps you didn't mean it this way, but
your message had an angry sarcastic overtone. Good community atmosphere
will be helped by community-friendly behaviour.

Yeah, I used to live at evolt.org, then life got in the way. Ended my
23-year marriage, got remarried, had the most beautiful baby ever born,
moved from SoCal to NorCal (yeah, that's as big a change as getting
married again) and went from employed to unemployed to self-employed to
employed. It's been tough to contribute. But evolt.org isn't *broken*,
and it's not 'going downhill' nor has it died. New articles aren't as
frequent, but they're still coming.

I won't repeat my entire 'how techies shoot themselves in the foot with
their manners' but Dale Carnegie was right: being nice to people is a
much better way to get their attention than being cranky at them.

I'm feeling old, and soapbox ranting just becomes a habit after while.
I'm working on it ;)

joel