[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri May 21 18:39:45 CDT 2004

> Martin Burns wrote:
> > Indeed - here again there's a conflict: Do you want (a)
> less hierarchy
> > or (b) faster decision making?
>
> I don't see why we can't have both. My suggestion is:
>
> 1. A vote is called on a particular issue.
> 2. The issue is debated for a set period, say a week.
> 3. A vote is taken, everyone has one week to register their vote
> (preferably a shorter time period, but I'm saying a week for
> the benefit
> of the people who don't check their email as often as I do). One vote
> for each person subscribed to the mailing list at the time
> the vote is
> called.
> 4. The result of the vote is announced and acted upon ASAP.

What if eight people vote, and it's a split? What if there are four
viable options, and no clear 'winner'? Who says 'all other things being
equal, I choose 'B' because they're all good'?

What happens in the above scenario (yours) is that two very good options
get lots of support, and we go back and forth about it, and since we're
all equal, no one has the group-granted authority to make a ruling.

joel