[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

Paul Waring paul at rixort.com
Sun May 23 04:34:32 CDT 2004

William Anderson wrote:
> Don't ask if I mind, just do it and if the code's cool, we'll use it
> with your permission :)

Well, I asked because it's polite and some people can be awfully touchy
about having their scripts modified.

 > However, what is the point of what you propose,
> i.e. what are the benefits?

1. To me it makes a lot more sense to have $_GET['page'] - it's clear
where the variable is coming from.

2. I don't know how much PHP stuff is on evolt, but register_globals
should really be switched off. Jester wrote some good stuff about it
here (and I think I mentioned it too in my article) so I won't repeat it
all:

http://www.evolt.org/article/PHP_Guidelines/17/26440/index.html

Basically, it's to stop people overwriting variables by using
index.php?variable=value. Most decent scripts will protect from this
anyway by not testing variables that might be undefined (one of the
problems) but it's better to be safe than sorry.

> the former, why do you ask?

Because you quoted both in your post. :) Looking at the code though, I
think you may have meant to put download.phps instead?

Paul