[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun May 23 12:16:59 CDT 2004

Martin Paul Burns wrote:
> Paul wrote on 23/05/2004 00:01:20:
> > [cms snippage]
> The additional flexibility is largely an illusion. Most grown-up packaged
> products have sufficiently flexible APIs that let you define all kinds of
> new and different capabilities, content types, workflows etc.

Yep, and as much as I think Plone/Zope is waaaay too heavy in terms of
system resources, having folk like Seb who actually hack on the Plone
codebase is A Good Thing(tm).

> [snip]
>
> >I agree that using what we have or an off-the-shelf solution might be
> >quicker in the short run, but I think in the long run it would be easier
> >to have a custom-built system.
>
> No, because then you end up with a system that only 3 people in the world
> understand enough to do any work on. This is generally referred to as the
> 'under the bus' scenario.

Absolutely agree - if we are to switch CMS in the near/far future, coding
one up from scratch is utter lunacy.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him