[theforum] RFC: w.e.o and l.e.o Server Integration

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon May 24 00:44:39 CDT 2004

On 23 May 2004, at 15:32, Dean Mah wrote:

This looks to me like an option set of two parts:
a) Integrate the servers or not
b) if so, on which platform.

I'd be happier answering them separately, and to have some guidance
from sysadmin about which of options 1 & 2 they'd be more comfortable
supporting.

Answering point (a) will decide the box spec, which we should get on an
order right bloody now.

To talk to Paul's point about licensing costs, Finance talked about
this a month or three ago:
http://lists.evolt.org/financearchive/2004-February/000326.html
and followups

The headline of that was "If our hosting provider wants to charge us
more for non-free platforms (OS/db/App Server) because they have to
cover their licensing costs, we'll need a pretty damned good reason for
doing it"

The way many hosting providers will charge you is that they'll include
the Win2k/2003 price in your standard monthly price - this may or may
not be higher than the equivalent Linux price. However, if you want
anything else on it (SQLServer/CF), you'll pay a set-up fee, and a
monthly supplement. So while we wouldn't be buying licenses directly,
in the long run we will.

> 1) Move l.e.o, d.e.o, and b.e.o to a Windows platform to be place with
>    w.e.o which is currently running on Windows with CF/IIS/SQL Server.
>
> 2) Move w.e.o to a Linux platform which is what l.e.o, d.e.o, and
>    b.e.o currently run on.
>
> 3) Defer the decision and just move l.e.o, d.e.o, and b.e.o with the
>    intention of re-visiting the issue either through another migration
>    or by going to a distributed computing model.

+1 to 3, not so much as a 'deferring the decision' as "I'd rather get
the new box up and running rsn, even if we've decided what the end
result will be"

- --