[theforum] Google ads

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Mon Aug 23 13:52:38 CDT 2004

Madhu Menon <webguru at vsnl.net> wrote:
> David Kaufman wrote:
>> can anyone think of any reason that i *shouldn't* just go ahead post
>> an updated report (similar to the above) monthly, as an article on
>> weo?
>
> Yes.
>
> As per Google's ToS, you are not allowed to publically disclose the
> earnings and other statistics from the Google Adwords program.

well, that sort of flies in the face of our need for transparency, doesn't
it?

i'll re-read the terms of service, but i do think we do need to disclosed
our revenue (and expenses) to our membership.  perhaps we could simply
report the total revenue figures, for the various income streams, (without
publishing the impressions, clicks & cpm figures) in aggregate, like

                Advertising    Promo Products  Donations   Total  YTD
Revenue
2004 January        $3                $2           $1        $6       $6
2004 February        6                 5            4        15       21
etc.

so that (even though we know Google is our only advertising source) we're
not publicly labeling the revenue as such.

> In fact, posting to an open list like this, now that I think of it,
> would also be a violation of that clause.

d'oh!

where is that darned Un-Send button?  i can never find it when i need it!

-dave