[theforum] weo 2b: to OSS or not?

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Nov 9 09:08:24 CST 2004

Elfur Logadóttir <elfur at elfur.is> wrote:

> .:| From: David Kaufman
> .:| >
> .:| > Is anyone really considering starting from scratch?
> .:| > I'm not. I'm considering using drupal out of the box, with the
> .:| > developed modules that can be downloaded from their website.
> .:|
> .:| Well, you are right.  If (but only if) Drupal or any other canned
> .:| solution *meets* the requirements, and doesn't require extensive
> .:| customizations, then absolutely that is a huge win.  But I don't
> .:| know if it does meet our requirements, cuz there's no spec that
> .:| one can point to, that defines all of them.  And there's no spec
> .:| because there are contending goals being discussed.
>
> Ok, I'll cave, trying to find a middle ground here.

Heh.  I caved too.  Great minds think alike :-)

> Actually, I like it because I see its possibilities.
> It didn't meet my needs, per se, but rather I fell in love with its
> endless possibilities.

The enthusiasm of the cadre of Evoltian Drupalvangelists speaks volumes.

> I'm going to sit down for a few hours today and look at what
> evolt.org does currently and see if Drupal does it and in what way it
> does it differently.
>
> It's not going to be a perfect spec, that i promise, but rather a
> listing of (hopefully) all the aspects of evolt.org.

Excellent, thank you.

BTW, are you a godmin?  or an admin?  Can you grant me access?  I won't
approve or deny any articles or anything - I just want to be able to
help you in these efforts.

thanks,

-dave