[theforum] Functionality requirements and Drupal

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Thu Nov 18 20:42:24 CST 2004

OK, here's my best stab at what thesite does now, what Drupal is
capable of, and what we've already got working in the PoC site.

If it's available to Drupal with an already-available plugin,
that's entered as 'module' rather than Yes, to be as transparent
as possible.

If it's in the Drupal column and not the PoC column, it means we
haven't done it *yet*.

The point of this exercise (for me, anyway) is to identify what,
if any, 'loss of function' is likely to result.  I've found three
points.  Two of those I don't think we *should* have, and the one
remaining is 'Grr' on comments, which we can either seek to
replace as-now, or use the Slashdot-esque "-1 Troll" method and
let it take care of itself.

In summary:

a)  I don't *think* there is any potential loss of function
     involved right now

b)  If i've missed out any thesite functions, it certainly isn't
     deliberate and I do want to know about it

c)  We've got most of the way there already in about 4 days.

d)  Drupal gives us several things we don't have in thesite and
     with a little work after this stage, holds out a very good
     chance indeed of enabling us to merge all our sites together
     under a single sign-on.

Given a clean DB dump and another few days, I think we'll be
ready at the rate we're currently progressing.  But we'll take
the whole month, please :-)

jh

Articles			current	Drupal	PoC

Title				Y	Y	Y
Author				Y	Y	Y
Date				Y	Y	Y
Date modified			NFI	Y	Y
Category			Y	Y	Y
More than 1 cat per article	N	Y	Y
Keywords			Y	Y	Y
Synopsis			Y	module	N
Body				Y	Y	Y
Status				Y	Y	Y
Comments on/off			Y	Y	Y
Viewing rights by role		N	module	Y
Version control			N	Y	Y
i18n/l10n			N	Y	Y

Index pages			current	Drupal	PoC

Title, author, date, cat	Y	Y	Y
Link to full			Y	Y	Y
# of comments			Y	Y	needs fixing
Rating count			Y	module	not yet

Article display			current	Drupal	PoC

Edit, admin 			Y	Y	Y
Change status			Y	Y	Y
Author info 			Y	tpledit	nearly
Author bio 			Y	tpledit	nearly
Rate this			Y	Y	Y
Comment author,date, p'link	Y	Y	Y
Grr / Grr count			Y	N	N
Comment moderation by users	N	Y	Y
Comment edit (Admin)		Y	Y	Y
Comment edit (author)		Y	N	inappropriate
Comment delete (admin)		Y	Y	Y
Comment delete (author)		Y	N	inappropriate
Comment mail notification	Y	module	not yet

User data			current	Drupal	PoC

username			Y	Y	Y
name				Y	Y	Y
email				Y	Y	Y
photo				Y	Y	Y
user since			Y	Y	Y
last login			Y	?	?
role membership			Y	private	private
active				Y	?	purpose?

User display			current	Drupal	PoC

Attributes			Y	Y	Y
Bio				Y	tpledit	Y
List of articles		Y	Y	Y
List of comments and all	N	Y	needs fixing

Sidebar				current	Drupal	PoC

User prefs			Y	Y	Y
Submit content			Y	Y	Y
Contact us			Y	tpledit	tpledit
Recent jobs			Y	tpledit	tpledit
Highest rateds			Y	tpledit	tpledit
Hot discussions			Y	Y	tpledit
New comments			Y	Y	tpledit
New articles			Y	tpledit	tpledit
Pending articles		Y	tpledit	tpledit
Denied articles			Y	tpledit	tpledit
Recent contacts			Y	module	tpledit

Admin/content processes		current	Drupal	PoC

Submission queue		Y	Y	Y
Contact management		Y	module	N
Simple workflow			Y	Y	Y
Rollback changes		N	Y	Y
Has BEO functions available	N	module	module
Has list archiving available	N	module	module
Has built-in link directory	N	module	module

Optional Extras (evolters?)	current	Drupal	PoC