[theforum] URL Schemas & missing data

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 10:57:00 CST 2004

On Friday, December 3, 2004  @697, aardvark wrote:

>on IRC yesterday, i suggested HTML 4.01 Transitional and CSS 2.1... i
>know there are people here who want a flavor of XHTML, and i'm not
>debating the value of either in this post...

Having had a think about this last night while trying to finish a
particularly tricky mission on GTA:SA I've come to the following conclusion.

Although I'm one of the people who would like to push for a flavour of
XHTML (because as I told aard yesterday on #evolt, acronyms with 'X' in
them are sexy) right away, in the interest of expediency I would be happy
with us to go for HTML4.01 now, and then look at stepping up to XHTML "at
some point" in the future once everything is settled.

This would mean that we wouldn't have to go through the article updating
mime type" question until later on.

>but minimums:
>- valid markup
>- valid CSS
>- accessible site (A, AA, or AAA?)
>- structural and semantic markup

Yep, yep, yep (AA should be pretty easy now, AAA is an ideal that we
won't sweat now) and yep - with the proviso that we don't have a table
wrapped layout...

... which brings me neatly onto ...

>now for divs and spans... by *default*, i will assume any use of divs or
>spans is wrong... yes, there are always exceptions,

I hate spans, but I'm partial to the odd div.

Really, they're quite nice with 1 part whole grain mustard to 3 parts mayo.

As a structural wrapper around areas of a page, they're hard to beat.
Lets say (theoretically) you have three; Header, Sidebar, and Footer, and
anything outside of those (ie, a direct descendant of the body) is by
default main content.

Possibly four if you wanted to do something clever (that escape me at the
minute) and you have a wrapper around Content.

How does that sit? Maybe I'm missing a trick with other ways to section
up a page though? (and no, a one row table doesn't count)

G.