[theforum]

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Feb 21 11:52:25 CST 2005

> Finally, may I please remind you of the core objectives of
> this: not to
> implement a 'lush' design (which I think would be off-brand
> anyway), but
> to *move hosts & platforms by 1st Feb*. The design is a
> nice-to-have. And
> as far as getting laughed at externally, it's only going to
> happen if we
> boast "ooh look - we did all this work just for a new design"
> rather than
> "We've moved hosts and platforms. This is an interim design,
> which will
> improve, and we can hold our heads up in the company of WASP
> re ditching
> tables"

Not, of course, that I've had one single thing to do with the redesign,
but if these were our goals, we've met them, right? Perhaps it's time to
launch, with the above understanding, and start planning for phase II?

I've delayed the launch of the redesign of spinhead.com for *four years*
because I've been too busy doing other things to get it just right. So,
I've got a graphics heavy table layout Dr. Seuss thing that was fun six
years ago, and is just tired now.

My opinion's probably only worth the paper it's written on, but isn't it
time we finished something? Lotsa folks put in lotsa work on this thing.
Make it live, and move on to the next step. I remember how excited I was
doing certain design work for evolt.org about four years ago; work which
never went live, because, well, it just didn't. If we do that to this
most recent body of work, it could possibly be slightly de-motivating.

Yes, we're a community of web designers and we should look good. At the
same time, as we point out *endlessly*, we're a community of volunteers,
not a paid company. If anyone in the community is dissatisfied with the
design, they're most welcome to step up and help.

joel