[theforum]

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 09:05:17 CST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005, at 03:18, David Kaufman wrote:

>> * I agree with Martin [...] that if we launch with the
>> announcement that this is an interim design and we've switched CMS
>> and platform etc. then I don't think that we'll get terrible comments.
>
> How hard would it be to skin the drupal site to look as much like the
> old (current) site as possible?
>
> It may sound like a silly idea, but if we announced that we'd moved to
> a new operating system, on a new server, on a new hosting provider,
> with a new CMS platform, it would certainly be understandable when we
> announced "some changes" in the site's functionality.  Rather than a
> opportunity to look bad, it would an opportunity to look good.
>
> The, once we are there... the big news would not be the server move,
> but the redesign contest!
>
> Due to the hard work of the current butt-kicking team, *a* redesign
> has been done, and it has (so far) only delayed our server move by one
> month (two if we don't launch this week!)  But surely additional
> design iterations can only add additional months.

Yes. But implementing the current weo design *is* a design iteration
and would put things back a long time - a month? 2?

Additionally, as mentioned when we last discussed it, the focus would
then be on "this new system isn't *exactly* like the old one", and
finally, I *really* don't want to launch a site based on tables, even
if it is based on the current one.

> I should point out that our monthly Google ad revenue is consistently
> covering the hosting costs of only *one* of our two servers, the
> current production WEO (hosted by Jeff) *or* the new development
> machine (hosted at ServerMatrix).  As long as we maintain both we are
> eroding our bank balance.
>
> So, whatever we do, consider this a vote for doing the thing that gets
> us off the old box sooner than later.

That's a good reminder, thanks Dave

- --
Now playing on iTunes: "Do or Die" by The Human League (League
Unlimited Orchestra) from 'Love and Dancing' - a hit from way back in
1982