[theforum] weo signoff

Martin Burns yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 18:43:28 CST 2005

Jeff wrote:

> Who made you the ultimate item-labeler.

Well I think having actually done a chunk of the work, and talked to
everyone else who has worked on it regarding what people are likely to fix
does have *some* standing on the matter...

> Whether or not we all act like it, we all represent ourselves as
> professionals in our field.  TEO in its current state is *not*
> representative of that.

If you care about a *professional* reputation (as opposed to a net.fame
one), then you'd care mainly about how this is seen by clients.

So I wonder which is worse to be damned as by potential clients:
1) Can't deliver a site that looks 'lush' and has a few usability
imperfections
2) Can't deliver anything.

To be perfectly frank, Jeff, coming in with a bunch of mixed feature
requests and hand-wavy level of detail bugs at this point doesn't really
represent you very well at this point.

And pretty much every grown up client I've worked with, presented with a
choice of "perfect someday, or somewhat flawed but workable now?" has gone
with "workable now and improve it post-launch".

> I'd be ashamed to be associated with a web development community if the
> best they had was as "good" as TEO.

See, you only see this as a front-end developer. Look at it from a project
manager's perspective: "we can't relaunch this because every time we get
close to planned launch date, people add in random feature requests and
poorly detailed errors, and classify them all as 'critical'. And we accept
every one of them"

That's already shaming, and every month that goes back is laughable.

In summary:

* You have had plenty of time to test.

* You have had plenty of time to submit bug reports and have been reminded
of the central repository regularly.

If you can't summon the interest to do that, I'm wondering how important
those bugs really are to you.

"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk <- to train
 etymology being buried, like so many | my filter. Currently killing over
 of the earth's marvels, beneath the  | 99.8% of all known spams stone dead.
 dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie     |
http://nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam

Wooden toys for toddlers:
http://www.purpur.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=95