[theforum] Vote: Launching the site already

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 11:31:52 CDT 2005

Folks

We're now getting near-daily contact us queries as to whether we're ever
going to launch.

We now only have 2 outstanding showstoppers:
1) Historical URL redirection:
http://islands.easyweb.co.uk:8080/evolt_bugs/bugs/102/pcng_issue_view

2) Site Speed:
http://islands.easyweb.co.uk:8080/evolt_bugs/bugs/4/pcng_issue_view
which will be resolved by turning on caching shortly before launch.

I was worried about Jeff's report about IE crashes:
http://islands.easyweb.co.uk:8080/evolt_bugs/bugs/106
and on analysis, discovered it is entirely down to crappy HTML in some
of the comments. I've fixed it on the quoted article. If any content person
spots it happening anywhere else, they should probably fix those too - it's
a quick and easy thing. Incidentally, the new site's content filtering/
validation will prevent future occurences.

(Yes, there are other issues that make the site other than perfect, and
they will be done as and when developer time becomes available to do them.
If one causes you particular pain, volunteering to analyse and fix it would
be very much the fastest way to resolution)

Therefore, I'd like to formally propose launching the site as per Ron's suggestion:
http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20050725/005717.html
subject to the sysadmin team implementing the URL schema redirection. In other words,
let's make the decision now, and as soon as that's done, we'll turn on the caching
and repoint www.evolt.org.

Deadline for responses:
Noon EST/17:00 UK time

"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk <- to train
 etymology being buried, like so many | my filter. Currently killing over
 of the earth's marvels, beneath the  | 99.8% of all known spams stone dead.
 dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie     | http://nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam