PURPOSE: To allow some spam and virus detection without a performance degradation. BACKGROUND: Awhile back, to prevent the lock up of qmail/mailman, spamassassin and clamav was removed from the mail processing pipeline. This is usually okay for the normal lists like thelist, theforum, thechat, etc. where posts from non-members are rejected. However, because the content list must remain accessible to the general public, a lot of spam comes through. evolt.org is running a qmailrocks distribution where a patch to the core qmail distribution allows us to run a different queue handling program by setting the QMAILQUEUE environment variable. This is set in /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run. The distributed script to replace the qmail-queue process is /var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl. This script runs clamav and spamassassin on the e-mail messages going through qmail. The thought is that since spamassassin is a Perl script, a performance penalty is incurred each time it is run so it should only be run when it is clearly required. MODIFICATION: I have re-enabled the qmail-scanner-queue.pl script (uncommented it) and changed the script to do two things: 1) I added some code to spamassassin_alt() so that spam detection is only performed on mail going to the content list and the info e-mail address. 2) I added a content scanner so that e-mail addresses that are clearly not going to resolve are dropped immediately rather than being processed by clamav, spamassassin, and mailman. CONCLUSION: The change has been running for about a day. However, because it is the weekend, the list traffic is lower and so full impact of the change is not known. As well, everydns got hit by a DDOS attack soon after I put the change in place which likely cut the amount of traffic both Web and e-mail. I will continue to monitor the situation as load returns to normal.