[theforum] tinyurl'ing

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed May 9 12:13:30 CDT 2007

Hi Dean,

Dean Mah <dean.mah at gmail.com> wrote:
> In going through the comments and user profiles, we get a lot of links
> to external sites.  Some are relevant, some are self-promotion hoping
> to capitalize on evolt.org's high page rank.  Would it be worthwhile
> to redirect these links through evolt.org so that the links work but
> no benefit would be derived?  Would this affect our page rank?

I think the "nofollow tag" <a href="http://www.example.com/"
rel="nofollow"> tag is supposed to do exactly that.  It protects our
page rank by telling search engines that these links, posted by
visitors, are not "ours" in terms of relevance, without forcing us to
forbid or filter them.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html

Most of the bigger blog packages already adds this to comments, but
Drupal doesn't appear to be doing this on our site.

Drupal experts: Does Drupal have an add-on, plug-in or module that does
this?

-dave