[theforum] [Fwd: [thelist] found a mirror of thelist archives]

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 08:12:41 CDT 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:08:39 -0400, "David Kaufman" <david at gigawatt.com> wrote:
>> David Kaufman wrote:
>>
>>> Why not allow our discussions to be shared widely?
>>
>> Because we don't own the material in our list archives.  See the
>> chapter on "how evolt.org came into being in the first place" for
>> more details.
>
> So you're saying that, since we don't own the material, we cannot restrict
> anyone from copying, or it any way they see fit?

No, the other way around. We don't have the right to *allow* our distribution
of members' material to be re-distributed.

Put it this way: members grant evolt.org a license to distribute their
material via email and a web archive. The do *not* grant us a license to
allow others to do the same.

If someone puts their thelist mailbox archive online, that's one thing. We
could stay out of that. But if someone is mirroring the archive we put up,
then we have a duty of care to act.

>>> We allow people to mirror our content in the browser archive...

Different case, because mirrors are effectively *part* of evolt.org;
acting as our agent. Although as y'all know, the entire legality of
much of BEO is a "Don't ask, don't tell" thing.

"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
 etymology being buried, like so many | my filter. Currently killing over
 of the earth's marvels, beneath the  | 99.9% of all known spams stone dead.
 dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie     | http://nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam