[theforum] code guidelines: suggested changes

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sat Oct 18 16:54:45 CDT 2008

Forum, Let me know what you think.  Prob this should go on content
instead or also... if I can get subbed to that list.

Most of this is really good and should be left as-is.
but there should be some updates... suggestions:

----------------------

ORIGINAL:
Please note that while you may use other tags, our editors (or our
<acronym title="Content Management System">CMS</acronym>) will most
likely remove them before posting.  This site is coded to xHTML 1.0
Transitional, so please only use elements and attributes from that
specification.

SUGGESTION:
we should be coding XHTML strict.

--------------------

ORIGINAL:
lots of advice about how to code basic structural HTML

SUGGESTION:
assume that coders know basics of XTHML 1.0 (?) strict.  maybe suggest
marking up some of the fine points such as acronyms, quotes,
microformats.

now... maybe just point them to a reference page for that stuff.

--------------------

ORIGINAL:
(offsite links...)
"Please use "_blank"..."

SUGGESTION:
No.  Deprecated HTML 4. and assumes novice users.

--------------------

ORIGINAL:
writing for the web stuff is repeated on Amanda's article

SUGGESTION:
keep it in one place.  (I'm thinking more and more that Amanda's article
should be archived and pertinent info placed elsewhere).

ORIGINAL:
"structure long documents"

SUGGESTION:
how???? I can't see a logical way to create page breaks in an evolt
article...
I don't think we do it that way (anymore?)