[theforum] Funding evolt: responsibility

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:05:56 CST 2008

I share this because it may have some relevance for your approach to
donation efforts. I have given time, effort, and money to evolt before
because evolt is greatly responsible for the level of education and
high web development standards that I have. My data modeling and SQL
comprehension would be nothing without Rudy, Ken, and others. My CSS
and semantic markup knowledge would be nothing without Adrian, Isaac,
and others. When the ajax kool-aid was in its initial brewing stages,
my ideas wouldn't have been as strong if I hadn't bounced them off of
Sam and others.

The evolt community had created significant value for me personally
and I felt compelled to give back in a number of ways. If we are not
receiving donations, perhaps the question is not whether we can
improve our solicitation techniques, but whether we can improve the
community to where it is bringing value to individuals again. If so, I
think the donations, both financial and otherwise, will come. If not,
I will have to side with our members in their implication that the
money is best appropriated elsewhere.

Thanks,

--
Matt Warden