[theforum] evolt.org history mystery

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Thu Nov 27 22:56:13 CST 2008

Dean Mah wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Erika <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:
>
>> Seems like 2002 was a huge year of changes for us.  I'm curious though,
>> what happened to April 2002-March 2003, that we lost our forum archive?
>
> The mbox file contains messages from that time but the archive does not.
>
> The archive resumes after the l.e.o migration.  I can take a look at
> restoring it.
>
> Dean

For me, it's just a matter of curiosity, but you know, as I read
archives of evolt.org I learn a lot about our process and so I think
they are of historical value.   If it is an easy thing to restore, it
would be great, I think. If not, ok.

What is really striking to me, looking through our archives, is the
incredible challenges that we faced as an org, and how, in fact, we are
in a much better position in many ways than we ever have been.   The
hosting cost issue was, for so long, nearly overwhelming.  Then along
with that we had "the bus scenario" and the "pull the plug" scenario.
We struggled a lot with leadership issues, who, and which list, should
do what, should we have more formality, more process, how do we keep it
all organized, how do we deal with issues of accountability, boundaries,
etc...

in addition, through all of it, some amazing bonds formed between
people.   I mean, I was pretty much absent for about 5 years of this.  I
got back in touch with evolt for purely social reasons.  I missed
thechat, and that's the first place I re-subbed.  I found people on
facebook.  Then I had a question I needed answered regarding a new job
I'd just taken, subbed to thelist, asked the question, and my new boss
answered it!  That's how I was drawn back.

I do believe that over the course of my entire life, when I look back at
important endeavors in which I took part, evolt.org will be very high on
that list.

Erika