[theforum] revisiting categories

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Dec 22 10:44:13 CST 2008

Another thing to revisit is our categories.  As a few people have
pointed out here and on the survey, they could use some refining.

I do agree that tagging should be integrated into our system (whether or
not tag clouds are displayed, articles could always be tagged for future
use, right?)

But we need more than that, we still need systematic category-based
navigation.  Last night I was thinking about how to make the categories
more logical, without deviating too far from our long-held structure..
I'm sketching below a proposed skeleton, would like feedback.  The idea
is to create subcategories for the larger groups (such as backend) and
consolidate smaller groups (news/reviews) (news is less significant now
that everyone's dog has a blog, but it's still kind of cool to have some
targeted stuff for our audience.)

"FAQ" doesn't currently show on our category list; I don't know if there
are others that exist but are not displayed in the list.

I think we should dump the "suggestions" category... but not before
reading the suggestions we have in there currently. :)

We should be able to go back to our legacy content and add subcategories
to existing articles; I think this, along with a good interface, will
improve the site's navigability, and hopefully inspire new article
submissions.

----------------------

CATEGORIES

1. Backend