[theforum] revisiting categories

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Dec 22 13:52:07 CST 2008

Sarah Adams wrote:
> Is it just me, or does this organization seem wacky? Since when are HTML
> or CSS "code"?

Some call it code.  Some call it markup.  "code/markup"?  But then we
have front-end and back-end stuff mixed, which doesn't make sense in
terms of how web developers tend to separate themselves.

(I only recently became a "developer." I used to be a "designer" -- I
haven't changed anything about how I work.  And I still don't feel like
a developer.  Or a designer.  I feel like a "builder.")

> Since when is code not "back end"? I think we need to
> overhaul this completely.

Articles can have multiple categories.  Javascript(ECMAscript!) may be
code, but may or may not be back end.  What is AJAX?  Front-end or
back-end???

And then there are databases and servers...

We have a lot of legacy stuff that is what it is... so I'm not sure
radical changes would work for us.  (?)

That's why I put this out to the list... this issue needs a lot of heads
put together on it I think.

Erika