[theforum] Bits from the Finance Front

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:12:22 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Jon Molesa <rjmolesa at consoltec.net> wrote:
> *On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 10:23:41AM -0500 Jon Molesa <rjmolesa at consoltec.net> wrote:
>
> Would any care to explain why a genuine offer for help goes ignored?  Is
> it because help is not needed?  Is it because I seemed insincere?  Or
> some other reason altogether?  I can understand if help is not needed
> and I can take it, I'm a big boy.  By why did my offer go completely
> ignored?  I'm genuinely interested in knowing.  If I need to improve on
> some social skills then I'm willing to accept that.  But my offer for
> help was an honest one and I feel it deserves at least a little
> attention.

It speaks to the dysfunctional nature of evolt.org.  For better or for
worse, since Dan left we've really had no leader.  We don't even have
a steering committee anymore.  No one is willing to step up and take
on the ultimate responsibility of leading the community.  We have few
enough people willing to take responsibility for reviewing and
approving articles (hence the lag in approvals) let alone giving away
server keys to people we are unable to fully vette.  No one is even
willing to take on the responsibility of answering your e-mail.

Giving someone root access to the server requires a certain level of
trust and no one is willing take the responsibility of giving it away.
 In the past, we have given few people access to the server.  Most, if
not all, of the people who have access to the server have met each
other in person or had someone vouch for them.  Most, if not all, of
the people drop into IRC on a semi-regular basis.  Of course, at this
point, even that isn't likely to get you access, see paragraph above.

Dean
- on behalf of me only