[theforum] evolt schwag help requested

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 01:56:40 CST 2009

On 23 Jan 2009, at 01:03, Martin Burns wrote:

>> if the risk is minimal, and if it looks like it will make us money,
>> why have a problem with it?
>
> Yeah, so it's extremely unlikely to make us money. Bet you beer that
> any profit made on the 1st batch goes right into the 2nd batch. And
> then we have some unsold, which wipes out the margin on a much
> larger number of sales. We do *not* want to do stock. I've co-run a
> small-scale mail-order business, and seen the stress, and it ain't
> pretty... this is *not* what we're good at.

Minor subtlety: I think it's absolutely fine to do a few 'for us', on
a money-up-front-from-all-recipients-and-you-get-em-when-they're-done
basis. Where I draw the line is effectively trying to run a profit-
making business, where we spend in advance of cash, with uncertainty
over any future orders to J Random User.