[theforum] [Sysadmin] evolt dns: bad mx

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Sep 8 09:20:24 CDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 5:17 AM, David Kaufman <david at gigawatt.com> wrote:
> I'm all for moving to a cheap virtual hosting provider.  I'd prefer
> AWS just because I don't have any experience with Digital Ocean - we
> use Rackspace and Amazon EC2 at the day job...

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with AWS, but DO is tremendously
cheap, with fixed costs rather than floating costs like Amazon (so an
instance will cost the same in February as it will in August).

> Both AWS and Rackspace offer free (or quite nearly free) DNS service
> for virtual machines on their platform.  And CloudFlare offers very
> reliable free DNS to anyone (along with DDOS protection web
> application firewalls!).  Why run a second instance just for DNS?

Redundancy (New York vs Singapore).

> I can make any changes we need to the DNS running on tron now,
> including migrating it to the next virtual host provider, cloudflare
> or whatever we need.  And I can remove the two ZENSOFT.NET
> nameservers from the whois record (if necessary, and if John is not
> responsive -- those are his, right?)

As John says, 'tis mine.  Feel free to remove the two zensoft
nameservers, and add the NS0 evolt one with the IP for glue.

> FYI: We are also still earning about $100 a year from the Adsense ads
> on BEO and LEO so, that would cover the cost of virtual hosting I
> think, so the handful of us still making monthly donations could
> probably stop.
>
> Let's do it.

If you and everyone else has no massive objections to DO, where the
machines are already running and maybe just need additional storage to
be attached, we can probably make this happen extremely quickly.  We
may want to find a more secure method of communications though to
exchange passwords etc ;)

-n