[thelist] RE: [] Cross browser fonts

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Fri Jun 30 05:44:43 CDT 2000

Ack! Please don't use Chicago or Charcoal! Chicago is an ancient menu
font and Charcoal is a new menu font and imho they're great for that
but a little too bold for most purposes.

For IE/Mac users, Verdana is a much better choice than Arial. At
smaller sizes Arial becomes harder to read and bolded Arial doesn't
show up as bold. :( Geneva is a uniquely Mac san-serif font and works
great at 0.9em or about 10px. Palatino is a good choice for a
uniquely Mac serif font. :)

>However, if you want to make Mac users love you, use a uniquely Mac
>font like Chicago or Charcoal. Like any vociferous minority group,
>Mac users are fiercely loyal to sites which go out of their way to
>cater for them.
>
>Adding a Mac font isn't a lot of work, but it will win you major
>loyalty from Mac users as long as the rest of the site doesn't tell
>them to get stuffed.

Hear, Hear!

>Adding a Sherlock plugin will also be very, very helpful. More info at
>http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=555

Yep, gotta love those Sherlock plugins!

Thanks for the suggestions. We vociferous minority Mac users do love
getting some attention ;)

Jake
icongarden.com
Making good ideas grow || http://icongarden.com/