[thelist] Tell me what you think...

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Sat Jul 1 16:28:12 CDT 2000

>I just wanna design pretty things... *grin*
>
>vid

Your have been very successful so far.  You have a great sense of
color & style.

Though the code can have a beauty all it's own & it's easier to do it
right (with CSS) then to be clunky with it (FONT tags).

Dreamweaver is a good move, but you'll still need to go under the hood.

Steal & hack.  (by steal I mean copy good code, paste it into your
text editor, by hack I mean experiment with changing it around & view
changes in browser).

When I couldn't figure out how to make my http://www.seastorm.com
fake table borders work in Netscape, I went to
http://www.starnet.com.au/vidman/ & looked under the hood.  Because I
knew that site had the effect I wanted to use on seastorm.com.  There
I found just what I needed (another level of nesting...whee!)

If you don't want to get your hands dirty, try to stay away from FONT
tags.  They're really messy.

Find a good stylesheet to hack.  Don't know about DW3 but I'm not too
impressed with DW2's stylesheet 'editor' & styles are really easy to
cut/paste/tweak in plain text.

Consider this: you can change the whole look & feel of your document,
your fonts, the color of all your links, etc, with a few changes to a
global stylesheet.  Your document is now not just pretty, but with a
few taps with your magic wand, you can shape-shift into ...something
completely different.

Erika  (why am I hearing Monty Python theme music?) Meyer

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com