[thelist] Geocities & cookies in email (WTF)

George Dillon george.dillon at ukonline.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 05:33:47 CDT 2000

Yesterday I received an HTML formatted email from Yahoo/Geocities.
At first I forgot about it, but it keeps coming up top of my inbox
and now it's rattled my cage once too often, so I've got to ask...

I had a Geocities site 2 years ago, but  haven't touched it since
their
attempt to seize my copyright early last year.  I used to receive the
Geocities World Report newsletter in plain text format but  I
unsubscribed in September.   Besides being 25kb, I believe the new
SPAM attempted to set 2 cookies (as I did not have IE open at
the same time), although now I cannot find any likely cookie setting
or reading code in the source of the message.

Is this possible?  Am I hallucinating?  Is my memory going? Is this a
nasty new devilment [to quote my spell-heckler]?  Or what?

I use Cookie Pal to monitor cookies in IE, (its option to never accept
cookies from certain sites by simply checking a box when one comes in
is ultra handy) and generally I refuse all cookies (including 100s of
CFTOKENs, CFGLOBALs and CFIDs) without any noticeable detriment to my
surfing (but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing ;)

Is there a similar app for monitoring/rejecting cookies set by email?

TIA

George