[thelist] Prevent people from using your graphics

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Mon Jul 3 11:36:31 CDT 2000

on Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 10:45:12AM -0500, Jeremy Ashcraft wrote:
> create a .htaccess file in your images directory and put the following in it:
>
> AuthUserFile /dev/null
> AuthGroupFile /dev/null
> AuthName RestrictImg
> AuthType Basic
>
> <Limit GET>
> order deny,allow
> deny from all
> allow from yourdomain.com
> </Limit>
>
> This will deny any requests for images in that directly unless they come from
> yourdomain

Yes, but that wasn't the point. The point was to deny serving images
to referers other than those you have specifically allowed, not to
deny serving images except to people accessing the site from hosts
within yourdomain.

AFAIK, without writing special mod_rewrite rulesets (maybe) or writing
a special Apache module, there's no way to limit requests based on the
referer. But I could be wrong. My inclination is to replace those graphics
with pornography or some other incredibly offensive graphic to shame the
thief into using their own damn images.

Steve

--
http://a.jaundicedeye.com/weblog/
because it just annoys people when I talk to myself...