[thelist] image in <p> (was "random image...")

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 3 13:35:47 CDT 2000

> From: "rudy limeback" <r937 at interlog.com>
>
> a paragraph is a text container, n'est-ce pas?  what if there's no
> text? is it still a paragraph?  if a man says something in a forest,
> and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

correct, a <p> is a text container... and she had text with a related
image, not an image and some unrelated text... and since the text
itself needed no other contextual markup (<blockquote>, etc) since
it was generic, the <p> is the natural container...

just because there's an image doesn't mean you should
automatically assume there should be *no* container or that it
needs to sit outside of one... what if the image were aligned to the
left or right?  would it not be better to place it in the same container
as your wrapping text?  so it should follow that an image directly
related to a chunk of text can easily be placed in a <p> without
offending anyone...

> (i'm going to assume aardvark just had a momentary lapse, for which he
> should be forgiven, considering the emotional meltdown he must've
> undergone yesterday about three and a half minutes into extra time...
> good thing i never bet money, because i would've lost my shirt too,
> adrian... it just goes to show you that it ain't over till it's
> over...)

umm... sporting event?  i dunno what yer referencing...

either way, no, no lapse, i meant what i said and i said what i
meant (replace 'said' with 'typed')...

> contextually, sticking an image into a <p> when there's no text is
> like saying "hey, i'm not really a paragraph, i'm just passing myself
> off as one because of all the convenient attributes that a <p> has,
> like the default line-height of spacing before and after it..."

erm, there is text... and why would you want to apply line-height to
an image anyway?  so, yes, a lone image doesn't need a <p>, but
an image associated with a block of text within a <p> can benefit
from being in the <p> with the text... kind of like a sleeping bag on
a cold... er... nevermind...

[snip]

> now, as far as i know, an anchor is not text, so why stick it into a
> no longer at the top of the page...

well, that's just wrong... it doesn't *need* a container... but you are
also not supposed to have empty <a> tags... so, pick your own
mis-code, i guess...

> and while we're on the topic of said editor, what the heck is this --

>              &nbsp;
>
> i mean, where's the <p> that the space is supposed to be inside of,
> eh? huh?

well, there should be no <p>, since <blockquote> is a more
accurate (granular) way of representing a piece of quoted text than
a <p>, so putting a <p> in there would be wrong... it *is* a block-
level element after all...

i think there is some confusion over the use of contextual mark-up
vs. display mark-up... i certainly don't care what the <p> or
style them via CSS anyway... i just want the *structure*...

> it's not wysiwyg, it's wygiwyd -- what you get is what you
deserve...

heh... i like that...