[thelist] Creating a website for South/Central America

F Joseph Mako jmako3 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 00:27:32 CDT 2000

I am designing a website for a United States based
company who targets people in South and Central
America.  I have not included the URL because I have
yet to design the site.  Here are some ideas I am
currently thinking about:

Domains to register/set up
www.foo.com
    with a prominent link to the Spanish version of
    every page.  So if midstream they want to change
    languages.
spanish.foo.com
www.foo.br (It would be a little expensive to
register all.  What are the main country codes?)

Being very careful how I use the would America

Not using flags, so I don't discriminate

The Questions I have are:

Where would I find info on cultural issues I should be
aware of?  As in the use of colors.

Are there other languages main languages in
South/Central America that are standard

Are there any resources for developing international
websites?

What other questions should I be asking?

Regards,
Joe Mako