[thelist] Web Design Conference

David McCreath mccreath at alaska.net
Tue Jul 4 13:19:54 CDT 2000

Hi, Warren --

I attended a Rockhurst Conference and it was almost a complete waste of my
time and my employer's money. Of the seminars that I attended, I literally
could have walked in cold and taught all but one of them better than the
paid "professionals" that they had there. I don't have my notes here at
home, so I can't give you any specifics on speakers or classes.

The guy teaching the e-commerce class was a mar-com hack that kept
pronouncing "cache" (as in caching pages) "ka-SHAY" and the guy that was
teaching the course on "Designing for Multiple Browsers" didn't know about
ADA, didn't know about accesibility, didn't know about Opera or iCab, didn't
know SHIT! I ended up talking for 20 of the 60 minutes and handing out my
business card (and the evolt URL among others) to other government people
who hadn't heard anything about that stuff either.

The only section that taught me anything was the JavaScript stuff and I have
learned more from this list and a couple of books for substantially less
money. :)

Thank goodness it was happening in my hometown and I didn't have to pay for
a hotel!

Now, having ranted about that, there were lots of beginners there who
probably gained from just being around people who knew more than they did,
but they were people who had NEVER worked on a site before. So it's just a
matter of perspective. If you are fairly new to this then it might be worth
the time. Having looked at your company's site, I think you'd be
disappointed.