[thelist] centering (was: Whitey Must Pay)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 5 12:44:17 CDT 2000

> From: "Czechowski, Aaron" <aczechowski at towson.edu>
>
>  i'll probably get flamed for this, but i personally think a centered
> table, for example, is a much more attractive way to make pages look
> good on various resolutions than pulling hair out with liquidity
> (though I DO love that word, say it with me, liquidity.... mmm-good!).
>  set a master table at 600px, wrap it in a <center> or div aligned
> center (which is proper?) and go to town.

there are many cases where that is preferrable to liquid...
*however*, we're talking about centered text...

>  now if you're talking purely centered text, as the designer of
> paywhitey has done, that's a bit different.  Don't just wrap your text
> in a <center> tag - cause then you get some nasty line breaks - use
> that <BR>! maybe even some &nbsp; for good measure!

er... i'd go for left- or right-justified...

centered text is the first thing a designer-in-training does... i've
seen it over and over in classes, on web sites, in the freelance
world...

dunno why it's so popular, but centered text usually looks like ass,
and it's often hard to read...

>  In short, if done well, <center> can be sexy.

*can* be, but it's rarely done well...