[thelist] New TLD .eu

Ben Henick persist1_pdx at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 13:21:54 CDT 2000

--- Oliver Lineham <oliver at lineham.co.nz> wrote:
> it's gotta be bad reporting.  i'm not sure of a case in the history
> of the
> DNS where a TLD was removed.

Good point, that.  There *is* a quasi-example:  .su.

Since the USSR no longer exists and all of the successor states have
TLDs one has to assume that no new domains have been registered under
the .su TLD in years... goodness knows I haven't seen any references to
it since... '96 or thereabouts.  But I'd find it hard to believe that
it's been REMOVED.  [Though I was crawling the ISO list on a reference
site recently, and couldn't find it...]

> that's why creation of new ones like .store is such a big decision:
> there
> aint no going back.

What then of the possibility that registration under the separate TLDs
would be discontinued, without actually undoing the TLDs themselves?

I can't imagine the circus that would ensue if they pulled all of those
TLDs, staggered or not.

...On the subject of releasing contested domains to the highest bidder:
 money talks, bulls--t walks.  Besides, it's not like the prevailing
circumstances are really any different.

=====
Ben Henick              |  "In the long run, men hit only
Web Author At-Large     |  what they aim at.  Therefore,
www.io.com/persist1/    |  though they should fail
persist1 at io.com         |  immediately, they had better aim
persist1_pdx at yahoo.com  |  high."  --Henry David Thoreau