[thelist] .gif text

Peggy Daniels pegdaniels at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 6 21:20:28 CDT 2000

>"What is the best way to inform visitors of the font selection (if you use
>a non-standard font) and how do you handle people getting it?  Do you make
>a link to a fontxxx.com or keep a copy of the font on the website?"

Hmm.  Even if you have a link, I'm betting a lot of users aren't going to
download the font.  It also doesn't seem like a good idea to keep a copy of
the font on the website, given potential copyright issues.  Unless it's
freeware, I suppose that might be allright.

If I had a situation like this, say for example a client was insisting on a
particular font for the body text and I couldn't talk them out of it, I
would design the site for optimal degrading - meaning, use CSS to specify
other fonts in case the user doesn't have that particular one, ending with
the generic serif or sans-serif declaration.  This way, at least the client
would see the site with their desired font while most everybody else would
peacefully (?) degrade to something else entirely.  As long as the design
isn't totally dependent on any one particular font, it should be ok.

Peggy Daniels
Web Designer, Aston IT Group North America
pkd at astonit-us.com  pegdaniels at hotmail.com