[thelist] metric conversion

Lumir G Janku lgjanku at w3matrix.com
Thu Jul 6 21:42:10 CDT 2000

>Am I right in remembering that this is why the Mars probe crashed into the
>planets surface because the landing program was done in Canada & there was a
>confusion over feet & meters?

This is how myths get created. :-)

No. You don't remember it correctly. This happened because the NASA team
did conversion from metric system to imperial units. Depending what
conversion values one uses, the resulting values may vary with a margin of
error that in this particular case was disastrous.

It went something like this:
Team Leader: "Joe, you did these calculations ...huh ... in metrics?"
Joe:         "Yes, of course".
Team Leader: "Well, I know we used it for all previous launches...
               but you know, our current boss just does not grokk it, sooo...
               convert it to imperial units, so it looks good for him on
paper".

Joe dutifully converts meters to feet and then feet to miles... a nice
margin of error slips in.

If the job was done in Canada, in metrics, that crash would never happen. :-)

LGJ, Vancouver, GWN (Great White North)

<tip type=php4>
There is an undocumented function called "class_exists(classname)". This
checks to see if the named class is defined, returning true or false. This
isn't yet in the public docs.
</tip>