[thelist] Liquidity and giftext

James Spahr james at designframe.com
Fri Jul 7 12:20:25 CDT 2000

on 7/7/00 12:37 PM, Erika Meyer at erika at seastorm.com wrote:

> It slows the download a bit, but the reason I wouldn't it is because
> most Windows machines pop up a scary warning window before the font
> loads, asking you if you want to accept this alien file being
> downloaded onto your computer.  (something like that.)

only if you use a non-wef font on IE - because it then needs to load an
Active-X component. You can get around it by encoding your fonts in 2
different formats.

> This was 1.5 years ago, so my info is dated, but I haven't seen much
> about font-embedding lately...
>
> If font-embedding were seamless, fast, and easy, it would be a nifty
> idea.  But in my experience, it is not.

Its totally not there yet. I tried - I really did, but you wind up using to
different technologies, and the display artifacts from the anti-aliasing are
really crappy, and the slowness, and they really show up correctly either ..

ugh, I say stay away - for now.

James.