[thelist] search engine for Mac/Tango/FileMaker site

Zachary Mutrux zacm at etr.org
Mon Jul 10 13:56:51 CDT 2000

Hi All:

I'm looking for a search engine that can be used to search a FileMaker
database as well as HTML and possibly PDF documents. I suspect that my
options are limited, as I haven't been able to find much on the Web.

If I can't find a suitable search engine, I am considering moving to a
different database/platform; I would probably do this anyway, but the lack
of a good search engine for the Mac OS will speed the decision.

I am not well-educated in the database department--is what I'm looking for a
database with a built-in search feature, or a search tool to access a
database, or will either such thing work?

The database will probably eventually migrate to MS SQL 7, since my agency
already owns that.

zm

<tip type="FileMaker hosting">
FileMaker is not a robust database for Web applications, but is useful for
some situations. It is super-easy to develop and maintain a FMP database,
for example.

FMP is processor-intensive and is not multi-threaded; mitigate the effects
of this by running FileMaker on a separate box to speed processing by the
Web server, if using plumbing such as Lasso or Tango.
</tip>