[thelist] starting a website

vidman design vidman at starnet.com.au
Mon Jul 10 20:40:33 CDT 2000

> > What do you do when you are first creating a design with a website?
> >
> > Do you just start with a raw html file and code away? Do you use dreamweaver
> > and just start moving things around until it looks pretty? Something else?
> >
> > What about finding unique colors for a site?

Well I seem to be what a few of you refer to as an arty-farty type *g*
and the look and feel of the site is mostly designed in my head.

Then I move to paper- a few sketches..nothing detailed but rather large
blocks of content, buttos, etc.

Then I move to photoshop or coreldraw depending on the idea (photoshop
for a design with blends- coreldraw or a clean site).

One thing that is VERY important is to have a browser window image (from
a screen shot) to use in your mockups. It helps to put your design in
context. All those buttons on the top of your browser do impact on the
look and feel of your site.

Try printing out a heap of screen shots to use when sketching if you
like. I dont need it but for those design impared it might be a good
idea.

Colours- there is only two rules that I follow-
1. Keep it simple. Dont use millions of colours. Three or four is plenty.
2. Use colours that are sympathetic to your subject. Warm colours for a
homely site, etc.

vid :-)

For designs that grab your attention
     like a mohawk on a politician!