[thelist] Winstability - best version for webdev

Czechowski, Aaron aczechowski at towson.edu
Tue Jul 11 08:42:32 CDT 2000

	I'm assuming you're talking about web serving....  It comes with
IIS5 free (though not as free as Apache, IMO) which I like a lot.  I haven't
played with it much, though it seems very similar to IIS4.  I also haven't
read much about IIS5, so I can't help you with info there.
	But I will say, if you're planning on loading IIS5 on Win2kPro - you
need lots o' memory - above and beyond what you would have just for the OS.
Most people underestimate the necessity of memory - YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO
MUCH!!  Especially if you're running a webserver.  If you're just using it
for development, you can probably use the system as a workstation as well,
but if you plan on using it as a production server, load as little else
software on the system - treat it as a server and keep it clean from things
that aren't needed.  and don't use it as a workstation!!  It should work
okay for a small production server, but if you want to host a major site (or
siteS), you better go with Win2k Adv Server.