[thelist] selective cookie acceptance

Steve Maxey smaxey at bcr.com
Tue Jul 11 16:19:54 CDT 2000

At 09:38 PM 7/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Is it possible to set up one's browser to allow (or dissallow) cookies
>based on domain name or referrer/source?  I assume that, if so, it will
>require an add-on to existing browsers?

Depends on the browser/platform.

On Windows, you need shareware. I've been using Cookie Pal, and have been
happy with it. Still, its options are fairly rudimentary compared with
what's built into a couple of Mac browsers:

IE5 for Mac allows you to set acceptance/rejection by domain within the
application, and doesn't keep bugging you once you've set cookies for a
particular domain to be rejected.

ICab (a Mac-only browser in development) goes one better by allowing you to
do that and also adds checkboxes that you can set to "Don't accept if from
a different server than main document" (goodbye DoubleClick, et al.) and
"Always accept if cookie is only valid until end of this session"