[thelist] MS-SQL to MySQL - any tips/how-to's?

Brian Tully btully at gstockco.com
Tue Jul 11 22:10:25 CDT 2000

hey there folks -

I just inherited a site that was running on NT- making good use of ASP and
MS-SQL for dynamic content and authentication. The problem is I know little
if anything about ASP and MS-SQL and the server I'm trying to migrate this
site to is on a Linux box (mSQL/Perl/MySQL/PHP). I'm most likely going to
use PHP and MySQL but there's a few questions I can't seem to figure out
about MS-SQL. Looking at the database dump I see a lot of SQL commands that
I'm not familiar with such as CONSTRAINTS, CLUSTERED INDEX, to name a few. I
also noticed many "Objects" such as users, stored procedures and triggers -
these too are quite foreign from the little mSQL/MySQL I do know. Can anyone
recommend a good article/book that might explain the differences as well as
how I'd go about converting the database syntax to ensure compatibility with
MySQL?

Many thanks,
Brian