[thelist] (no subject)

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Wed Jul 12 12:07:27 CDT 2000

Hi all-

My team was just told that the ratio of indexes to information in our
database design was too high. Can anyone help me figure out what this means
in the "real" scheme of things. We feel that the design is correct, but we
do have a number of tables that only have 3-5 fields, one of which being an
ID which is kept in a field in our main "person" table.

How does the ratio of indexes to information impact dB performance? How can
I justify not moving 7 or 8 tables with 3-5 fields each into the main table
(giving it an additional 15-30 fields) other than on the fact that we have
20 odd hourse invested in code already?

We are using SQLServer 7.

Additionally, we just discovered that one of our associated tables consists
of information already in the company in another database on another
machine. The DBAs want us to use that table rather than replicating it in
our database. Can SQLServer work across databases like this?

Thanks for any help,

 http://www.weberrific.org
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinuishable from technology"