[thelist] Hidden Fields

Jason Morehead jmorehead at alphalincoln.com
Wed Jul 12 17:19:23 CDT 2000

>I have often seen references to hidden fields & I'm ashamed to admit I
>haven't got a clue what they are about or their uses. Could someone possibly
>point me in the direction of any good tutorials about them please. And
>thanks for the answer about the "pl" extension.

hidden fields are just like any other field in a form, except they
are "hidden" from view.  if you view the source, you can see them and
the values they hold, but they don't show up anywhere on the page.
they're great for passing data across pages, because as long as they
are declared in the form, the data they hold isn't lost.

for example, you could have a 2-page form.  the first page asks for
basic bio info (name, address, etc.).  when the user proceeds to the
second page of the form, the information from the first page are
stored in hidden fields on the second page.  when the user completes
the second page and clicks the submit button, the data in the hidden
fields and the data in the "visible" fields gets processed by the
form at the same time.

that's a really simplified description of them, but they've been a
Godsend on several occasions for me.

jason
--
http://www.alphalincoln.com/
alphagraphics of nebraska - web services