[thelist] Access Tip

Seth Bienek - Web Consultant sbienek at acep.org
Wed Jul 12 23:27:56 CDT 2000

Hi Rudy,

> beatiful tip
>
> very well written, too

Thanks!  I've done it forever; it's saved my ass quite a few times when I
was in a time crunch, and I have no doubt it's saved me hundreds of hours of
development time over the last couple years.  I would have posted it sooner,
but as you can see, it's pretty hefty for a tip.

> difference -- i pasted into windows paint, not photoshop  <grin>

I will try this (at least once). ;)

> you are spot on with regard to your warning about relational
> integrity,
> too -- it is not for beginners...  ;o)

Relational integrity is the BOMB if you have related tables and are
modifying the data directly in Access.. Only way to stay sane.  However, you
run into some real problems when you rely on RI to take care of your joins,
etc., particulatly when you upgrade from Access to a "production" database
and your ASP/CF/whatever code stops working!  You can spend hours basically
rewriting your app.. That's one reason I don't recommend using it. The other
reason is that it's good practice to do your joins in your SQL queries
anyway, the more you do the better you will get the hang of it.. I feel the
same way about Autonumbering fields, for the same reasons. :)

> rudy

Thanks for the egoboo, Rudy, it's what I live for, and it's especially
schweet coming from someone who's opinion I hold as highly as yours.  :)

I have a site critique for you guys coming up in a week or so, and I have to
admit I'm sweating... :)

Rock On,

Seth